About Me

My Photo
Sue Parler
New Jersey, United States
I'm currently in my 32nd year teaching at DePaul Catholic HS in Wayne, NJ. I teach Game Design, Cryptology, and Spanish -- yes, it's an odd mix -- even I admit it. I am the IT Coordinator at DePaul Catholic as well, which means I manage the network, the student information system, the website, and the 900+ computers in the building. Yep, keeps me busy.
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, October 3, 2010

PostHeaderIcon W1 Reading

As I began my Action Research Project I knew that time was my enemy -- it always has been, and this journey should prove no different in that respect.  I also recognized that organization could prove to be my only ally in my battle with time.

So I explored different ways that I had been successful in the past with organization.  There weren't many.  I have a tendency to endeavor to be so finely organized that it is impossible to keep organized.  The process takes precedence over the purpose.

Then I picked my head up from my computer and looked around my workshop (I repair Tablet PCs among my other duties).  I saw my "tape wall".  Here I have a strip of blue painter's tape labeled "bad", a purple strip labeled "parts", a green strip labeled "ready to repair", and a white strip labeled "good to go".  That's how we identify the stages of repair in my shop -- with painter's tape.

I had already broken my AR project down into its principle parts:
  1. Using technology
  2. Authentic learning
  3. Active/engaged participants
  4. Changes in content delivery
So if I applied my "tape" principle to my AR research, I would be able to stay at least minimally organized.  Hmmmm... how to?  Stickies would work -- I use stickies all the time on my Tablet PC and I had recently obtained the uTrack App for my iPad.  But I wanted something I could access from anywhere in case I came across something to note -- I needed a web-based application.

And I found LinoIt -- online stickies.  So below you will find my Week One reading requirement as seen on my LinoIt wall.  The articles with the white APA formatting textbox below them are those done for this week.  By the way, LinoIt does not allow for italics, so while the "words" are there, the exact APA formatting is not.

2 comments:

Dennis Woodward said...

Awesome find, Sue. I feel your pain with the time management issues. I am in a similar situation at our school where I am responsible for everything from student laptops to school computers to phone system and copiers. Not that I can't hand MY time, my priorities shift constantly as to which fire needs put out first. I like the idea of LinoIT. Much more attractive than the usual "to do" lists and such.

Ashlee Park said...

Sue this looks like it was fun to do. Nice find! I will definitely be checking it out.

Post a Comment