About Me

My Photo
Sue Parler
New Jersey, United States
I'm currently in my 32nd year teaching at DePaul Catholic HS in Wayne, NJ. I teach Game Design, Cryptology, and Spanish -- yes, it's an odd mix -- even I admit it. I am the IT Coordinator at DePaul Catholic as well, which means I manage the network, the student information system, the website, and the 900+ computers in the building. Yep, keeps me busy.
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, October 23, 2010

PostHeaderIcon PE6_Unity and MonoDevelop 3



Well, I'm still working on Penelope, but in the meantime, I've at least discovered something that I  understand 100%:  Blocking volumes -- well, that's not what they're actually called in Unity, but that's what they're called in UnrealEd -- an engine with which I am thoroughly familiar. 

To the left is an image from the Unity interface that uses blocking volumes.  The image is a 2D image. The green cube primitives are used as "walls" in the school labyrinth thereby blocking the ball. 

Last year one of my 3D Game Level Design students created an excellent 3D map of our high school.  I plan to use a 2D rendering of his map  as my labyrinth.  

We have a five minute passing time between periods.  If I add a timer and prescribe a student schedule, it would be a cool game for our students to play through.  By adding "collision detectors" in the incorrect rooms, I am able to script the ball to re-spawn in a specified start spot that we'll call "homeroom" as the clock continues to tick.

The right-hand image includes the camera view so you can see how the 2D labyrinth looks from the playing perspective.  This image is a test image I pulled from Galion Schools in Ohio

The game is pretty cool and takes advantage of the iPhone accelerometer.  The ball responds to the twists and turns of the iOS device as the player attempts to wind his/her way through the maze.    It would be a very cool recruiting tool to demonstrate the combination of student/teacher collaboration through technology.

Although I abandoned Penelope temporarily, I'll pick it back up as time permits.  For now, I'm ecstatic that my builder skills were put to effective use in a new engine: Unity iPhone.  I can get excited about anything, but thinking about creating a DePaul Catholic labyrinth game -- well, yes, I'm stoked.

0 comments:

Post a Comment