About Me

My Photo
Sue Parler
New Jersey, United States
I'm currently in my 32nd year teaching at DePaul Catholic HS in Wayne, NJ. I teach Game Design, Cryptology, and Spanish -- yes, it's an odd mix -- even I admit it. I am the IT Coordinator at DePaul Catholic as well, which means I manage the network, the student information system, the website, and the 900+ computers in the building. Yep, keeps me busy.
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, October 16, 2010

PostHeaderIcon BP9_Tagxedo

Yeah, yeah -- who needs another word cloud generator?  Well, if you're into Wordle and you've seen Tagul, then hop on over to Tagxedo.  

I'm not a big word cloud fan, but once I began to play, it was fairly addictive.  I created the word cloud to the right from my blog page.

It requires Silverlight, which, in my estimation, is Microsoft's version of Adobe's Flash.  As a virtual newbie to the Mac world, I didn't even know Silverlight would work on OS X, but lo and behold it does -- just what I needed another developer's tool to play with!

By the way, if you are going to play with Tagxedo, don't bother installing the version of Silverlight that's out on their website - it's not the current version.  Go to Microsoft's site first; do the install; then go to Tagxedo.

Tagxedo allows you to enter your words, take them from a file, or take them from a URL.  Similar to Tagul, when you hover over a word, it pops up, which gives this cloud a bit of interactivity.  Like many word cloud generators, you can omit common words and control the list in a variety of ways.

Aesthetically, you can control font, color, the orientation of the words, background color, and my favorite -- the shape.  So imagine celebrating the completion of your Abraham Lincoln lesson with a word cloud generated within his image.  OK, yes -- I'm pretty visual, so it's appealing to me.

There are variety of ways to save your Tagxedo word cloud as well.  I opted for a .png, which loses the interactivity, but apparently you can save it as a web page or you can embed it as well -- both of these methods would preserve the interactivity pop-ups.

If you're a word cloud fan, Tagxedo adds another dimension.  If you're not a fan, it's still fun to play with.

0 comments:

Post a Comment