About Me

My Photo
Sue Parler
New Jersey, United States
I'm currently in my 32nd year teaching at DePaul Catholic HS in Wayne, NJ. I teach Game Design, Cryptology, and Spanish -- yes, it's an odd mix -- even I admit it. I am the IT Coordinator at DePaul Catholic as well, which means I manage the network, the student information system, the website, and the 900+ computers in the building. Yep, keeps me busy.
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, October 17, 2010

PostHeaderIcon PE3_iOS Unity iPhone


First, a bit of an explanation as to why the fascination with the iOS.  This is posted on my AR Blog for month 4, but I dont suspect much of a crossover audience here, so I'm re-posting it.  It was a sidebar to my AR blog, but it's relevant here:
I’m learning something that probably no one else has any desire to learn:  programming iOS devices -- specifically iTouch, iPad, and iPhone 4.  The motivation for this came from my Cryptology class last week when I was teaching QR code (a two-dimensional barcoding system developed by Denso-Wave for cataloging Toyota parts).  I had given my students a copy of a newspaper article that featured QR code in which there was an example.  One student that we’ll call Frankie asked, “Hey Ms. Parler, do you know what this says?”  I replied that it was the author’s website URL.  About a minute passed.  Frankie wildly raised his hand -- quite unusual for Frankie as he has rarely been engaged in anything other than baseball throughout his four-year existence at DePaul.

I said, “Yes, Frankie?”. 

“Promise you won’t get mad.”

I looked at him.  How much trouble could he have gotten into in the last minute?  “I won’t get mad.”

“No, really, ya gotta promise you won’t take away my phone”, replied Frankie.

Students are not permitted to use phones on campus.  Nor are they permitted to use iPads, iPods, etc.  If we see a student with a phone, iPad, iPod, etc., we are supposed to confiscate it and send it to the office.  The first time they get off with a warning.  The second time there is a fine (meaning tariff  - not a comment on quality) system.  So, clearly Frankie had accessed his phone in the last minute.  “OK, I won’t take your phone away. What did you discover?”

“I scanned this code thing with my phone and it took me to the guy’s website.  It’s so cool.  Do you want to see?”  Frankie was engaged.  Suddenly cellphones were being whipped out all over the place.  Three other students discovered they had the app as well.  My next day’s lesson included a QR-encoded message they they could decode using their phone cameras.  Now a total of nine kids had the app.  OK, yes -- it’s not exactly according to the rules, but I ran with it.  Next semester, I’ll post the assignment on Blackboard as a discussion topic, so I can stay within the rules and still engage the disengaged.

So, I’m trying to figure out how I can write an app for those of my kids who have iOS devices to light the fire.  Hey, whatever it takes.

So far, I have a ball and waves that react to the accelerometer.  See PE 2 for the short video.  Today I began a tutorial that I figure will take we through this final post and the three PE posts for next week as well.  It's an actual game tutorial developed by Unity to help folks like me that know something about Unity, but nothing about Unity iPhone.

I'm putting in the stand-in now.  Using a stand-in helps developers move quickly through development without wasting time on art.  It also allows us to test gameplay without relying on aesthetics.

So here she is for now:

And with Week 4 just a little lighter in work than Week 3 (it couldn't possibly be worse!). I'm looking forward to finishing Penelope by then!

2 comments:

Trisha said...

I'm impressed! And I absolve you of any guilt you may still feel about having cell phones out in your class. Have you read "Digital Community, Digital Citzen" by Jason B. Ohler? I just got it, and I think you might like it. It addresses the situation you described here.

Sue Parler said...

Nah, don't be impressed, but I'll take the absolution! Ironically, I used Ohler's Digital Storytelling in our first Intro to Research class when we needed to write our Lit Review. I'll check out the work you mentioned. Thanks.

Speaking of being impressed -- you have time to read??? Wow. ;-)

Post a Comment