About Me

My Photo
Sue Parler
New Jersey, United States
I'm currently in my 32nd year teaching at DePaul Catholic HS in Wayne, NJ. I teach Game Design, Cryptology, and Spanish -- yes, it's an odd mix -- even I admit it. I am the IT Coordinator at DePaul Catholic as well, which means I manage the network, the student information system, the website, and the 900+ computers in the building. Yep, keeps me busy.
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, May 22, 2011

PostHeaderIcon MAC Week 3 Free Post: Publish or Present

Last fall, my Blackboard Regional Representative encouraged me to apply to present at Bboard World 2011 in Las Vegas July 12-14. This was well in advance of knowing about this Publishing/Presentation Project.  I applied. My use of the Blackboard platform was too narrow in scope to present a full 45 minutes, so I was offered the opportunity to combine with one or two other presenters to create a unified presentation.

Given the volume of work I was facing at Full Sail, the last thing I could imagine was being responsible to another cohort. So I graciously declined the opportunity. In retrospect, had I thought ahead, much, if not all of my Month 11 and 12 Full Sail work would have been long done by now.  Darn that bird in the hand - I should have gone for the two in the bush.

So I've pondered long on whether I should work on a presentation for next year's Bboard World or publish. My natural inclination leaned toward presenting. Then I read through Dr. Bedard's list of publication possibilities - Language Learning and Technology.  Here's one of the concluding lines of my Literature Review:
In addition, the Language Learning and Technology website, a refereed journal for second and foreign language scholars and educators, provides a repository of ideas to incorporate technology into language study, but again, it does not host scholarly research.
 So, I should put my money where my mouth is and publish - specifically to Language Learning and Technology. The good thing is that they have an 8500-word limit - and a 200-word abstract. Although I try hard to not obfuscate, and I make every attempt to be precise; concise I am not.

So after thinking about it for two and a half weeks, I choose to publish. Whew.

Image licensed by Creative Commons: http://www.flickr.com/photos/furryscalyman/

0 comments:

Post a Comment